lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:48:02 -0500 (EST)

> Do you know if there is a version of Lynx that supports:
> JAVA and /or Javascript??

The quick answer is:  neither exists now, and neither is on the near-term
horizon.

Re:  JavaScript
I'm implementing a tiny subset of ECMAScript (previously known as
JavaScript) for my MS in CS.  The write up is at 4600 words and counting,
and I defend on December 4th.  It'll be the equivalent of C without any
libraries or header files.

Re:  Java
The consensus (as far as I'm concerned) is that Java is much too
GUI-oriented to implement directly into Lynx.  Perhaps it would be nice if
Lynx would spawn an applet viewer, much like images and sound files are
already handled.  OTOH, I've not seen an applet I can't live without.
This would be a much easier project, but no one has needed it enough to
implement it yet (at least for a non-0S/2 version).

Interested?

> I heard that Cookies are supported but I would appreciate it if you
> could tell me what version supports Java and or Javascript or even the
> dreaded VBscript and or ActiveX objects. Non graphical dumb terminal based of
> course.

Ummm.... Could you give me an example of a Java Applet that you need to
use that would work on a text-only terminal?

> I was under the impression such a version of lynx exists. If so
> can you tell me what to get and where to get  it??

Look for my code in the first week of December.  At that point, not only
will the code be stable enough that I won't be terrified of other folks
dinking with it, but there'll be documentation as well.  (NOW how much
would you pay...)

And then interested parties can determine if it should be tossed, given to
someone else, improved upon, whatever.

> Rob Silver

;
;