lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 05:31:45 -0500 (EST)

> In a recent note, Chuck Martin said:
>
> > Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:35:07 -0500
> >
> > I agree completely.  One thing I've noticed about lynx that I wish was
> > done differently is that rendered documents don't put two spaces after a
> > period at the end of a sentence even if they're present in the source.
> > It seems to me that more than one space after a period should be
> > collapsed to *two* spaces instead of one.  Also, a period followed by
>
> Unfortunately, HTML syntax requires that multiple whitespace be
> treated as a single blank.

right (people brought this up a while ago).  it's not clear however (I
was up too late ;-) if the browser is free to render things to show
extra blanks (there's a distinction in my mind whether it's clear or not).

> > whitespace (including newlines) and then an uppercase letter should be
> > assumed to be the end of a sentence, and two spaces placed at that
> > point if the uppercase letter ends up on the same line in the rendered
> > document.
> >
>     "I do not love thee, Dr.  Fell."
>                             ^^

yes (I don't have a solution either - since I use the builting formatter in
vile rather than par, I've gotten in the habit of removing awkward periods
in changelogs and comments (simplifies my life, and no one's complained
yet).  But that doesn't make Lynx that smart.

I'm inclined to leave it as is

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden