lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Minor patch to lynx_help_main.html

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Minor patch to lynx_help_main.html
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:27:41 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Heikki Kantola wrote:
>
> > As I noticed the Savvy Search link in lynx_help_main.html was outdated
> > I changed it and while I was editing that file I decide to do following
> > changes too:
> > - HTML Internationalisation points now to English language document,
> > not the French one as earlier.
>
> What do you have against French? The original document is in French and for
> those who don't know French there is a link in that page for the English
> version.

I also think it shouldn't be changed, because
  - it isn't appropriate to increase the English bias, especially
    considering the topic,
  - the link to the English version is easy to find,
  - as a matter of courtesy to French speaking users as well as the
    author(s)/webmaster(), let's use what they regard as the entrance
    door,
  - the less specific URL actually points to a negotiated resource:
    if you set Preferred language to "en", you get the English version.
    (Unfortunately this isn't done very well - e.g. "en;q=1, <more stuff>"
    isn't recognized.)

> > - changed one ~ into %7E.
>
> Why?! The tilde is a valid ASCII and ISO 8859-x character.

The appropriate question is whether it is a reserved (or otherwise
restricted) character for URL syntax.  It isn't, although it used to be.
So let's go with the form the author of the page in question uses in
links, to avoid having documents with a mixture of both forms in memory /
history / visited links.

    Klaus