lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:07:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 17-Apr-99 14:01 address@hidden wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I've been trying to compile Lynx 2.8.1 on my Linux system
> > (Red Hat 5.2), since the original binary didn't support
> > color styles (lss).  Despite my earnest attempts, however,
> > I won't get any color.  I did
>
> > /configure --enable-persistent-cookies \
> >       --enable-color-style \
> >       --enable-default-colors \
> >       --enable-underlines \
> >       --with-screen=ncurses

That should work fine, at least with a not-too-old version of ncurses.

> > but the resulting binary doesn't support the -color
> > command line option.  I've tried slang as well, to no
> > avail.
>
> Less advanced colors available *without* --enable-color-style.

And as Tom notes, the -color flag is only for slang and isn't needed
otherwise (with or without color-style).

> Lynx color styles need -lss=filename switch, it wouldn't be color without it.

It's not needed if the *.lss file is found in the location compiled
in (set either in lynx_cfg.h by configure or in userdefs.h).

If you terminal type according to $TERM supports color (well enough),
colors will be used.

> Someone more familiar with color styles will reply you later
> but this code considered as experimental -
> try the latest development version of lynx if you
> really concerned about lynx color styles.

I agree that 2.8.2dev.N should be better.

> > Could someone please elaborate why color is broken?  I've
> > spent _hours_ browsing news groups and the web but
> > couldn't find any helpful information.

This list is the best place, there isn't much else afaik.

   Klaus