lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:15:49 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > >      -----
> > > I wrote earlier that I don't care about what the suggested filename is,
> > > but now I think that "~/.lynx.cfg" can still invite people to make bad
> > > assumptions - the name encourages users to just copy the system-wide
> > > /etc/lynx.cfg or /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg to their home directory and
> > > then change only what they want to change in that copy.  That will
> > > fail at least for the "INCLUDE" itself, if the user doesns't remove
> > > it... (I havent' checked how the code deals with such a loop).
> >
> >  lynx has a maximal allowed inclusion level (as I remember - 10).
> >
> > > So the name should indicate that the file is 'included' by something
> > > else.  I suggest .lynx.cfg-inc, maybe someone has a better idea?
> >
> >  May be more explicit: .lynx.cfg-override?
>
> So far I prefer -inc vs. -override:
> 1. It's shorter.
> 2. It doesn't override all of lynx.cfg (which one might assume based on
>    the name), and it doesn't override all settings (e.g. PRINTER would
>    add to the list).
>
> Anyone else? :)

 Here are the mods are suggest to be added (please check my English).

# If an installation or distribution uses a (properly modified) copy
# of this file as a system-wide default, but wants to allow all users
# to override or extend settings given here (without restriction) in an
# optional user-specific configuration file, the following convention
# is recommended for Unix-like systems: enable the following INCLUDE.
# Do NOT name the user-specific file .lynxrc, since that name is already
# used for personal preferences saved from the 'o'ptions menu.
+#and has completely different format.
# Note that some settings will act in a cumulative manner if present both
# here and in an included file, e.g. PRINTER,DOWNLOADER,UPLOADER,RULE.
+#For more secure approach consider extended version of the INCLUDE command
+#that permits the use of only selected settings in file being included -
+#this description is located near the top of this file.
+#The file mentioned is allowed not to exist.

>   Klaus

 Best regards,
  -Vlad