lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx pre-processing

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx pre-processing
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:02:15 -0700

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:53:27 +0900
Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:01:07PM +0200, Rado S wrote:

[...]
> > >                                          -- me, March 1999
> >
> > Now I must know this: is the "me" == HN?
>
> Yes.  Next year it will be ten years.  How things have changed in those
> years!  Because of the capabilities of present day computers, Lynx
> no longer is essential to daily life.  Both cpu cycles and memory size
> have increased close to 1000-fold from when I first started using Lynx.
> Graphic browsers have matured, too.  So have OSs.  I mean, why use Lynx
> for graphic content when Adobe Reader and OpenOffice are out there?

Please.  Xpdf or Evince.  I don't need a 116 MB viewer package,
when that viewer is only good for viewing *one* type of file.

[Could mention Abiword too, but if you prefer OpenOffice, you
prefer OpenOffice.  No problem.]

> (BTW, MSIE, at least, uses these in exactly the same way Lynx executes
> its DOWNLOADER.)

Well it's a very simple, sensible way to deal with file-types the
browser itself can't display... which makes this very surprising,
since you're talking about a Microsoft program.

> __Henry

Patrick.
--
Yow!  Am I having fun yet?