lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Why Won't this Site Work in LYNX?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Why Won't this Site Work in LYNX?
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:57:51 +0100

On 02/05/2022 23:22, Chime Hart wrote:
I would rather access this in L Y N X as I better understand how to save files. I also want to run this story through rdrview. I've also just tried the main site, same result. Thanks so much in advance.

That may well be the problem. Unfortunately Lynx has a reputation for being used for grabbing content, which site owners will often treat as information theft. It is possible that the Links user agent is being treated as an online reader.

Accessing it on Firefox, it seems to be very bandwidth hogging, as it is continually fetching multiple files, even you are not doing anything. It wouldn't surprise me if it normally constructs pages on the fly, in the browser, but has a fall back mode for text browsers it considers safe. It was updating so much that I couldn't really get at the key files to see if the real contents was Ajax data.

You might want to try using Links' native user agent string. The standard fake strings may make it assume you are using an Ajax platform.