m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Packaging bn-disha into m17n-contrib and system issues

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Packaging bn-disha into m17n-contrib and system issues
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:20:37 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Sayak Sarkar <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just completed my work on a new Visual layout based Keyboard Input
> system for the Bengali language[1] as part of my Google Summer of Code
> Project.

Congratulation!

> As per the suggestions that I've previously received in this list,
> I've tried to follow all the conventions that are required for m17n-contrib
> in the Project repository[2].

> Could someone please let me know, what is the procedure for getting the new
> input system packaged into m17n-contrib.

If you think the code is matured enough to be used publicly,
I'll include it in m17n-contrib.  As far as I see the
current code in the github, the format has no problem except
for this line:

(input-method bn disha (version "1.0.0"))

VERSION is not the version number of the input method, but...

VERSION specifies the required minimum version number of the m17n
library.  The format is "XX.YY.ZZ" where XX is a major version
number, YY is a minor version number, and ZZ is a patch level.

Your code is using AltGr key events which is introduced in
ver.1.6.2 of m17n-lib two years ago.  So, if you want to
specify VERSION, it should be "(version "1.6.2")".

And, it may be better to refer to the project page in "description".

> Also, there are a couple of issues[3] in the new system which are a bit
> confusing to me. It would be great if someone could please check them out
> and help me a bit them.

As far as your code works with m17n-edit, yous code has no
problem.  I think the culprit is such IM-engines as ibus or
scim, or the interface between those applications and the
IM-engines.  Please describe the detail testcase to
reproduce the problme in that page.  It should include which
application (with version) is used on which OS, which
IM-engine is used, what key sequence you type, what should
be the correct result, what is the actual result.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden