m17n-list

Re: [Patch] Improvement for unicode.mim, allow all Unicode chars, not on

From: handa
Subject: Re: [Patch] Improvement for unicode.mim, allow all Unicode chars, not only BMP
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:46:19 +0900

Hi,

In article <s9dtucofgez.fsf@taka.site>, Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com> writes:
[...]
> (command
>  (start (_"Start Unicode
> Start typing hexadecimal numbers of Unicode character.")
>         (C-U)))

Currently m17n-lib can not recognize the difference of C-u and C-U.

> Then I changed it to (C-a) and now I can also start Unicode code point
> input by typing Control+a *but* the original key binding Control+u is
> also still working.

That's strange.   I tried to change C-U to C-a locally and confirmed
that C-a works but C-u and C-U does not work as Unicode input starter.

> So the Control+u seems to be hardcoded somewhere else outside of the
> unicode.mim
> file, maybe somewhere in m17n-lib.

Please change also the prompt to, say, "<UNI>", and check if both "C-a"
and "C-u" show it.

> Another thing which I didn’t know and which surprised me a lot is this:

> One does not need to explicitly switch to the unicode.mim input method
> to do this Unicode code point input. Using *any* m17n input method
> seems to implicitly also load unicode.mim somehow.

This behaviour can be controlled by the the variable
"fallback-input-method" defined in the file global.mim as this.

 (fallback-input-method
  (_"Fallback input methods.
Value must be comma separated fallback input method names.
When you type a key that is not handled by the currently activated intup method,
fallback input methods (in the order specified in this variable) try
to handle that key, and the first one that can handle the key is activated
temporarily.
For instance, as the default value of this variable is \"lsymbol, unicode\",
when you type \"/...\" while you are activating an input method
that doesn't handle that key sequence, \"lsymbol\" input method is activated
and \"…\" (U+2026: HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS) is inserted.")
  "lsymbol, unicode")

As you see, lsymbol and unicode are registered by default.

You can customize it by putting these lines in ~/.m17n.d/config.mic.

((input-method t nil global)
 (variable
  (fallback-input-method nil
   "unicode, math-latex")))