m17n-list

Re: [Patch] Improvement for unicode.mim, allow all Unicode chars, not on

From: Mike FABIAN
Subject: Re: [Patch] Improvement for unicode.mim, allow all Unicode chars, not only BMP
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:21:32 +0100

handa <handa@gnu.org> さんはかきました:

> Currently m17n-lib can not recognize the difference of C-u and C-U.

Ah, OK!, so C-<someletter> is always the same no matter whether
someletter is lower case or uppercase if I understand that right.

>> Then I changed it to (C-a) and now I can also start Unicode code point
>> input by typing Control+a *but* the original key binding Control+u is
>> also still working.
>
> That's strange.   I tried to change C-U to C-a locally and confirmed
> that C-a works but C-u and C-U does not work as Unicode input starter.

You are right, if I change to C-a then C-u does not work anymore.
I don’t know what happened when I tested this last time. I strongly
believe I saw both working at the same time but I cannot reproduce that
now. Maybe I was halluzinating.

>> One does not need to explicitly switch to the unicode.mim input method
>> to do this Unicode code point input. Using *any* m17n input method
>> seems to implicitly also load unicode.mim somehow.
>
> This behaviour can be controlled by the the variable
> "fallback-input-method" defined in the file global.mim as this.
>
>  (fallback-input-method
>   (_"Fallback input methods.
> Value must be comma separated fallback input method names.
> When you type a key that is not handled by the currently activated intup
> method,
> fallback input methods (in the order specified in this variable) try
> to handle that key, and the first one that can handle the key is activated
> temporarily.
> For instance, as the default value of this variable is \"lsymbol, unicode\",
> when you type \"/...\" while you are activating an input method
> that doesn't handle that key sequence, \"lsymbol\" input method is activated
> and \"…\" (U+2026: HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS) is inserted.")
>   "lsymbol, unicode")
>
> As you see, lsymbol and unicode are registered by default.
>
> You can customize it by putting these lines in ~/.m17n.d/config.mic.
>
> ((input-method t nil global)
>  (variable
>   (fallback-input-method nil
>    "unicode, math-latex")))

Thank you very much for that explanation!

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。