Re: build issue with bootstrap.bat

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: build issue with bootstrap.bat
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 10:34:55 -0400

On Fri, 2022-10-28 at 12:22 +0400, charlie wrote:
> > My build environment is MSVC 2019. So following README.W32
> > directions
> > to build.
> >
> > Running build_w32.bat the first time, and I get an error

> > I figured out that bootstrap.bat should generate mkconfig.h, but
> > running bootstrap.bat is not mentioned in the README.W32.

That's because the README.W32 file is intended to be shipped with the
source package, and the source package has already had the bootstrap
script run so bootstrap.bat is not needed, AND we don't ship the
bootstrap script with the source package. It exists only in a Git
checkout.

If you check out from Git you should look at the README.git file for
instructions.

Or you can just go get the latest RC build which has already been
processed, from here (this is the current latest):

 https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-4.3.92.tar.gz

> > After making sure I had curl and sed, I ran bootstrap.bat:

I do not see this; I run this script before every release and it's
currently working for me:

 C:\Users\test\make>git clean -fdx

 C:\Users\test\make>.\bootstrap.bat
 -- Downloading Gnulib modules
 - Downloading lib\getloadavg.c
 - Downloading lib\intprops.h
 - Downloading lib\intprops-internal.h
 -- Configuring the workspace
 - Creating Basic.mk
 - Creating src\mkconfig.h
 - Creating src\gmk-default.h

 Done. Run build_w32.bat to build GNU make.

 C:\Users\test\make>sed --version
 sed (GNU sed) 4.8

Maybe you have a different / odd version of sed? Are you using cmd.exe
or in powershell? I've never tested in powershell.

> > Looks like the error is happening on line 61 of bootstrap.bat.
> > Pulled
> > that line out and ran by itself:

> > I'm no sed expert but it would "appear" that expression #4 needs an
> > extra / at the end?

This is correct or at least it works for me.

This is what it does on my system.

> > becomes

> > After this mod, bootstrap.bat ran successfully, and now
> > build_w32.bat
> > also works.

I think it only works because you don't have Guile installed on your
system, so the generated header file is never used. If you go look at
the contents of the generated header file src/gmk-default.h I'm sure
you'll see it looks all wrong.