[GMG-Devel] redmine -> trac: status; please read

From: Will Kahn-Greene
Subject: [GMG-Devel] redmine -> trac: status; please read
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:59:45 -0500 (EST)

Please read this email. It's about the impending migration of MediaGoblin's bug data from the Redmine issue tracker we're using now to the Trac ticket tracker we'll be using in the very near future.

I've got Trac 0.12 with the TracAccountManager plugin installed on http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ now. Additionally, I did a data migration from Redmine to Trac.

There are a few things to know:

1. Redmine issues don't start with 1, so there's a mismatch between Redmine issues and Trac tickets.

2. All Trac tickets have an additional comment at the bottom that links back to the original Redmine issue.

3. Trac doesn't manage relationships between tickets: relates to, blocks, depends, duplicates, ... Trac allows you to resolve a ticket as a duplicate, but doesn't let you specify the ticket that it duplicates. In Trac you do that in the comments when you mark the ticket as a duplicate. My migration script doesn't do anything with the relations information at the moment. I'm open to ideas on what to do here.

4. I haven't migrated any accounts over. So when we make this live:

   1. people will create new accounts in Trac
   2. let me know and I'll connect your account to tickets, attachments,
      and changes

If anyone has better ideas on what to do here, I'm all ears.

5. Trac has cc section in tickets, but it takes email addresses. Redmine issues have user accounts. Thus in order to connect the two, I need people to create accounts and such.

However, this is a huge pain in the ass to populate after the fact. Is it ok if people re-cc: themselves to bugs they're interested in? If not, I'll spend the time to back-populate the data after the fact, but it'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get to.

6. I haven't closed any of the milestones. In Trac when a milestone is done, you close it out and then it doesn't show up in the active milestone list. I'll do that when we do a final migration, but I need to get the dates before I do.

7. Redmine issues text data is formatted in Markdown. Trac uses its own formatting markup. I just left the Redmine stuff as is, but it's ugly. Anyone have ideas on what to do here?

I think that about covers it.

Things I need help with:

1. I need people go to through the Trac tickets and see if there are issues I've missed.

2. If anyone has ideas on issues 3, 4, and 7 above, I'm interested.

Going forward:

I have a few minor things to tweak in my migration script.

Additionally, I'd like to figure out what to do about issues 3, 4, and 7 above.

I'm planning to do a final migration in February. I'll probably disable everyone's Redmine access, do the final migration, then send an email to this list about what to do.

Note that all the data currently at http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ will be dumped when I do the final migration!

That's all I can think of. Sorry it's taken so long to do this, but it turned into a much larger undertaking than I wanted it to be.

/will