Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!

From: Jorge Araya Navarro
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:24:31 -0600

El sáb, 23-06-2012 a las 02:20 +0200, Joar Wandborg escribió:
Hi Jorge, I wrote a bit on media types at
http://wiki.mediagoblinorg/Media_Types, please tell me if something's
unclear.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 01:07:39PM -0600, Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> El sáb, 16-06-2012 a las 09:44 -0500, Christopher Allan Webber escribió:
> > Hi Jorge,
> >
> > I responded on-ticket:
> >
> > http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/391#comment:4
> >
> > As said on there:
> >  - This is kind of a tough task to take on, but if you're interested I'm
> >    happy to walk you through it
> >  - I think we need to document how to extend media types!  Where's the
> >    right place for this though?  The wiki?  The sphinx docs?  Given that
> >    we're expanding the docs to include plugin authoring, maybe that is
> >    the right place.
> >  - One reason for me making this shift in employment is so I can be
> >    helpful to people on learning these types of things and mentoring.
> >    :)  That said, there are a few other people around who know how to do
> >    media types authoring.. Joar probably more than anyone.  So pinging
> >    on IRC still might be a good way to go.
> >
> > As I said, I'm taking this weekend as a "vacation" of sorts from
> > MediaGoblin hacking, but will be around to be more helpful next weekend.
> >
> >  - Chris
> >

> > Jorge Araya Navarro <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Hello people!
> > >
> > > I want to add a couple of views for some media types (see bug #391), but
> > > this stuff of writing media views looks tricky and I want some mentoring
> > > on this issue.
> > >
> > > cheers!

> > Jetzt mitmachen und zwei Shopping-Gutscheine - 1000 !
> > http://click.lavabit.com/4qio8zqz1tba9pnxs8gq875yfj6tfq19ubimbsoaspz1qnqrhkxy/
> Yo!
>
> OK, my doubts are:
> * where should I place the files for new media types
> (project-mediagoblin/mediagoblin/media_types)?
> * what are the minimum files for a new media type (migrations.py
> models.py  processing.py  transcoders.py)?
> * what is the exact purpose of every python file for the new media
> type?
> * what should be imported on those files and why?
> * what should be done on html and statics files to make the media type
> available?
>
> with these simple questions maybe someone more experienced hacker can write a doc about the issue
> cheers!
> --
> Jorge Araya Navarro
> Universitario, idealista y pseudo-activista del Software Libre.
> Siquirres, Limón, Costa Rica.
> http://swt.encyclomundi.net
> Diaspora*: http://diasp.org/u/shackra
> identi.ca: http://parlementumnet/sweet
> Jabber: address@hidden
> Skype: ¡De ninguna manera, tras de privativo, te espían!.
> el software privativo en GNU/Linux, al igual que en Windows o en MacOs,
> te hace un ser no-libre. Deja de engañarte,
> ¡¡despierta ahora!!:
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
> http://replicant.us/about/

Ahorra con Groupon hasta un 70% de descuento. Participa!
http://click.lavabit.com/kdyi4wwrtix37u45s5w1anr34gnrddx3pxr1n1c58wyhw87cahfb/

Yes, I don't know if the content for every file listen in http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Media_Types#File_structure is the same or if it changes between Media Types and the wiki didn't say where should be the sniffing code http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Media_Types#Sniffing