Re: [GMG-Devel] Code of conduct

From: Mu
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Code of conduct
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:12:13 +0200

Comments below.

2013/4/14 Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>
I've been thinking recently about the kind of community we've worked to
build in MediaGoblin.  I'm proud of this community... we've worked hard
to make this a welcoming place for newcomers and everyone.  I want it to
stay that way.

I currently don't have the energy to work in GMG, but the short time I did, I have to say that I felt this as a very very nice community. I wrote in Barrapunto (Spanish Slashdot): "And if you want to take a look of the community, try the IRC channel, you will see that they are a very nice people, far from the kind of hackers that are full of arrogance"

Thoughts?

I don't know if it would be appropriate to put into that document, or even if I will be able to express that in English. But one thing that I've learned is very important when you work with people is to try to think the best about the other persons, at least at the beginning.

For instance, if some guy says something that could be interpreted as sexist or not sexist, assume that he didn't mean that. If you have to correct him, instead of "that is very sexist" you could say "be careful that can be interpreted as sexist".

Another example, if you do some work and someone says that it is not an intelligent solution, assume that probably he does not mean to say that you are stupid.

Sometimes I've seen nasty conflicts between people that do not end because they think bad about the other. Applying this technique you can mediate between them explaining each other point of view.

As I said, I don't know if it is worth of reflecting into the CoC, but I wanted to share something that I learned and that have served me a lot when working with other people in difficult situations.

Regards,
Mu.