Re: [GMG-Devel] How to make the best for MediaGoblin out of 'YouTube Red

From: Matt Molyneaux
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] How to make the best for MediaGoblin out of 'YouTube Red' scandal
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:53:30 +0100

Proper release tarballs were mentioned recently, and hopefully it won't be too too much work to get it done.

Personally I'd like to see a PyPI release with all the non-python parts bundled too. It would really ease the initial setup for those already familiar with install python packages.

On 22 Oct 2015 14:40, <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 02:57:19PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> I don't know. Is it anyhow possible to explain a person, who knows almost nothing about computers & IT, within 3 minutes how to
> set up a MediaGoblin-content-creator-existence ? How to upload videos in MediaGoblin? How to watch MediaGoblin with as less
> effort as anyhow possible - best would be within firefox without any special preparation?

Personally, I'd be happy just to see the documentation on how to install
MG referenced from the release announcement. And the steps to upgrade
really shouldn't be that different from an initial installation.

Also useful would be getting MG into the native packaging systems of the
various free systems. But that requires first a tarball of the whole kit
that can be made runnable with the automated tools _that_ _already_ _exist_.

I'm offering to volunteer to get MG into FreeBSD's ports system. But I
need to be able to download the source without having to use git.

--
Kevin P. Neal                                http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/

"What is mathematics? The age-old answer is, of course, that mathematics
 is what mathematicians do." - Donald Knuth