Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Glib versions (was upgrade package gtk)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Glib versions (was upgrade package gtk)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:05:18 +1000

On 16 May 2010 09:12, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> On 16 May 2010 00:16, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, so it seems we no longer need to build gio. The attached diff
>> > updates glib from 2.25.3 to 2.25.5 and removes the gio build commands.
>> > I suspect that the glib-3-avoid-lc-messages.patch will also be
>> > unnecessary if we're not building gio.
>> >
>> > There's still the question of whether we want to use release or
>> > development versions.
>>
>> Ignore that, I spoke too soon. gst-plugins-base seems to require gio
>> when using the glib 2.25.x series.
>
> I hope you don't confuse the native with the cross build.
>
> The glib-3-avoid-lc-messages.patch is _only_ for the native
> glib build which is used internally to create the glib-mkenums
> and other glib-* code generators.
>
> The patch should _not_ make a difference on the cross build,
> and the cross build contains the _complete_ glib package, with
> gio, etc.

Ah, you're right, I was forgetting it's only the native build having problems.

> Also, I thought that the question of release/development Glib
> (i.e. glib 2.24.x or 2.25.x) was answered: We want to use the
> current GTK release, which depends on the current Glib development
> version.

My understanding is that when GTK was released it required the
previous Glib development version (2.23.6) or later, mostly because it
was released before Glib. It builds fine with Glib 2.24 - which
doesn't have the native gio build issues. It seems that Glib 2.25
introduced some new i18n/l10n features which caused the gettext and
LC_MESSAGES problems.

Thinking at little more about release timing, GTK 2.24 can't depend on
Glib 2.25 since it didn't exist at the time it was released.

Regards,

Tony