Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Glib versions (was upgrade package gtk)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Glib versions (was upgrade package gtk)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:24:03 +1000

On 16 May 2010 18:47, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> On 16 May 2010 09:12, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Also, I thought that the question of release/development Glib
>> > (i.e. glib 2.24.x or 2.25.x) was answered: We want to use the
>> > current GTK release, which depends on the current Glib development
>> > version.
>>
>> My understanding is that when GTK was released it required the
>> previous Glib development version (2.23.6) or later, mostly because it
>> was released before Glib. It builds fine with Glib 2.24 - which
>> doesn't have the native gio build issues. It seems that Glib 2.25
>> introduced some new i18n/l10n features which caused the gettext and
>> LC_MESSAGES problems.
>
> You're still confusing something. The current GTK 2.20 requires
> Glib 2.25, not 2.23:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2010-04/msg00174.html

Casting my mind back, the missing windows.pc was fixed in gtk with this:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/7d474f9936cd

The glib development version mentioned in the gtk-list thread is
2.23.6, the precursor to 2.24. At that point glib 2.25 wasn't branched
yet.

> Nevertheless, starting with Glib 2.26 we should switch to using
> only stable Glib releases.
>
> (Unless, of course, the next GTK release requires once again the
> then-development version of Glib.)
>
> Anyway, I'll try to get the Glib stuff working. It would be great
> if you could then check them quickly on all your systems.

I don't have a firm opinion either way on release vs development
versions, other than the path of least resistance. I'm happy to test
it, but I think we've all spent too much time on it already, and
reverting to -r912 seems the simplest route. Otherwise, I could figure
out how to make one of my machines available so you can investigate.

Cheers,

Tony