Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.22

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.22
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:01:49 +0200

Stefan Löffler schrieb:
> On 2012-04-12 17:39, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> > Testing phase #2 is over. Thanks for participating!
> > We fixed some final issues, and I'm pretty confident
> > we can declare changeset 2384:e3182c03d2ef (Git d48fea5)
> > as stable.
>
> Thanks for the release.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that in order to get 2.22, I now have to clone
> the stable git repo? Or is there a tag? Or something else?

Just clone the stable branch.

Although there are tags in the old Hg repository, and although
those could be transfered to Git, it doesn't make any sense
to actually checkout those. The packages are outdated, and
many packages won't even download are there are always projects
who are unable to provide _really_ permanent download URLs.

> In the future, will there be more releases, or should I just (regularly)
> update the git clone?

Just update the git clone of the stable branch.

> And in the latter case: does the makefile handle
> changes intelligently (i.e., it only rebuilds what has actually changed,
> instead of the whole tree)?

Well, yes and no.

Yes, a package is only rebuilt if one of its *.mk or *.patch
files has changed. Or, if one of its dependency packages has
been rebuilt.

No, this is not an overly intelligent mechanism. From time
to time there are non-functional changes to the *.mk files
which cause a rebuilt of the package although it is not
really necessary.

However, we try to do the latter kind of changes only in
the development (master) branch, so you won't encounter
that issue in the stable branch.

> A subsequent `make lua` failed with the following error:
[...]
> It turned out that /opt/mxe-stable/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/pkgconfig/
> did not exist (and hence `install ...` failed). I'm not sure, though, if
> this is a problem in MXE itself or in src/lua.mk.

Thanks for noticing! This is a bug in src/lua.mk, I guess
there's some "install -d ... .../lib/pkgconfig" missing.

Would you mind reporting this bug to our new issue tracker?

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues

Regards,
Volker

--