Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Installing in Offline Environment

From: Seth Raymond
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Installing in Offline Environment
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:27:44 -0400

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of the office yesterday.

I did run "make download-qt" on my internet-connected machine and I can confirm that it did not download all of the dependencies I needed, and started attempting to download packages in my offline environment. However, this was on an older version of MXE (the qt5 package, for instance, was pointing to Qt 5.13.0, the current package is 5.13.1). This bug may have been fixed recently, and I currently do not have access to a network-connected machine to confirm that. I will hopefully have access to one later this week. If so, I can submit a bug via whatever the formal process is (I assume a GitHub issue?)

In the meantime, I removed the tmp-ccache-x86_64-w64-mingw32.static/ directory, as well as the usr/ directory to attempt a fresh installation with my manually downloaded packages from pkg.mxe.cc. With all of my manually downloaded packages in the pkg/ directory, I ran

$ sudo make

(settings.mk sets my targets to x86_64-w64-mingw32.static and x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared and my local package list to qt5). I'm seeing that we can find a handful of the pre-requisite packages, such as gmp, isl, mpfr, and mpc. Looks like the first thing it's choking on is gcc-5.5.0.tar.xz, which it's trying to download. The error message says "Download failed or wrong checksum of package gcc!" An interesting note - I confirmed that the package lives in /path/to/mxe/pkg, but when it attempts to download the package, it removes the one I already have dropped in locally.

Running

 $ openssl dgst -sha256 local/copy/of/gcc-5.5.0.tar.xz
gives
SHA256(/local/copy/of/gcc-5.5.0.tar.xz)= 373ad0a9d0b2274d7db305fa7478ef476ce2e08e98d407dd3c71ccbb37d90359

I can't confirm if that's the actual SHA256 of the package - again, I don't have access to a networked Linux tower right now. Hopefully I can get one to help debug by the end of the week.

I'm planning on trying again with the "--keep-going" flag on my offline installation to see if it's going to download any other packages that I may be "missing."

Thanks for all of the advice so far!
-Seth

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 5:45 AM Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2019, at 03:03, Gerardo Ballabio <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I too usually build MXE packages offline. In fact I go even further
> than you: I run "make -n download-*" to get the list of required
> packages and then I download them by hand (this lets me avoid wasting
> bandwidth by downloading a package if I already have it from a
> previous build -- I probably don't need this anymore but until quite
> recently I did not have a fast internet connection).

You shouldn’t need to do this even if you have unlimited bandwidth,
the files should not be downloaded again. Building offline is fully
supported (and encouraged), we even disable networking during build
phases to simulate a real offline scenario.

If “make download-foo” isn’t downloading all dependencies, it’s a
major bug.

Cheers,

Tony