Re: What are the supported languages and targets?

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: What are the supported languages and targets?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:12:54 -0500 (EST)

At Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:59:51 -0500 (EST) Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
wrote:

> Would I be right in assuming that mxe supports Linux and Windows targets,
> but not OSX?  And what source languages are supported? I don't see
> anything on the website that specifies either of those specs.
>
> I distribute compiled static linked executables of my program for Linux,
> Windows and OSX. I have never had any trouble with users being unable to
> run them. For Windows I use the i686-w64-mingw32-gfortran compiler on
> Linux, but I have been using an old Mac for OSX versions (gcc). It would
> be great to do everything on Linux.

Apple has pretty much made it impossible to cross-build for MacOSX (or iOS).
They have also made it difficult to host MacOSX VMs on anything but Apple
hardware.  It is my understanding that to build for MacOSX you either need a
real live Apple (eg a genuine Mac (MacBook, iMac, MacMini, etc.) or you need
to contrive a "Hackintosh" (either bare metal or virtually) -- this is
a non-trivial task.  *I've* given up producing MacOSX binaries of my MRR
System, since I cannot afford to shell out close to $1KUS for a new MacMini
and the "cheap" (used) MacMinis available on eBay are too out-of-date to run a
current version of MacOSX.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services