Re: What are the supported languages and targets?

From: Valerio Messina
Subject: Re: What are the supported languages and targets?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:38:22 +0100

On 12/14/22 3:38 PM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
Are more details available anywhere? I had quite a bit of difficulty finding how to even build an exportable binary on a Mac

currently I'm using osxcross [1] on Linux to cross-build to macOS (and to Win and native Linux), either 32 (old OS ver only) and 64 bit, Intel and ARM, using gcc (old OS ver only) or clang, GNU libstdc++ (old OS ver only) and LLVM libc++.
I do that on Apple Intel HW so even the license is satisfied.
This work for CLI and even SDL2, GTK3 and QT5 app.
For GTK2 I cross-built a version targeting Quartz instead of the pre-built XQuartz with the help of a list friend.

To test the Intel binary without reboot to macOS/Intel you can use
macos-virtualbox [2]

As now I have no solution to virtualize macOS/ARM on Intel HW, so I ask to friends with new Apple silicon to test them. Someone know a working method?

While macOS doesn't allow truely static binaries, it does allow you to link everything that isn't calling macOS, using the above command.

Apple call static binary a binary that does not depend on OS syscall at all.
Anyway, also generating a binary that is statically linked (but even depend on sys dylib) is not so easy with osxcross. Currently I collect and then modify all needed dylib to create a DMG package for my apps using a custom script.

Any information about what languages MXE supports?

on this I cannot help, I tested only C/C++ sources

In the past was asked to MXE to support macOS as target, hope once will be added.

regards,
--
Valerio

[1] https://github.com/tpoechtrager/osxcross