[Mldonkey-users] Re: No experience with Linux or Unix

From: Linda
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: No experience with Linux or Unix
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:51:44 +0100

> Message: 1
> From: "Bilal Al Obaidi" <address@hidden>
> To: <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:09:13 -0700
> Subject: [Mldonkey-users] No experience with Linux or Unix

> Dear friends,
>
> I like to install mldonkey on my computer , I just yesterday downloaded =
> Linux Mandrake 8.2 and installed on a seperate partition, I don't have =
> any experience with Unix or Linux. I installed Linux only for mldonkey =
> but I don't know how to execute mldonkey.
>
> I download mldonkey "mldonkey-1.16.static.i586-Linux.tar.bz2 " and don't =
> know if it suitable or not.
>
> I will be very grateful for you if you give me some help to make =
> mldonkey work on my computer.
>
> Thanks in advanced,
> Sincerely,
> Bilal

Hi Bilal,
 I also have Mandrake 8.2. Here's what I did. After you've extracted the
file, look in your home directory and open the mldonkey-distrib folder.
Click on the mldonkey GUI. No need to set anything. You can run it on its
defaults to start with. Now open a terminal and type "cd mldonkey-distrib"
then enter. Type "mldonkey &" then enter. If you then look at the GUI you
will see it has fired up. You can add sharereactor links manually. On the
downloads tab at the top where it says "ed2k:" just paste the shareactor
link there and hit return. The help file in the GUI shows you other commands
you can use in the future.

Different people seem to have different ways of doing it and no doubt you'll
get other/better answers but this seems the least technical for me.

This presumes that you have found out by now how to extract the file. I
usually right click the tar.bz2 and choose an archiver to open it with then
extract from there.

Linda