Re: [Mldonkey-users] prioritie rules

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] prioritie rules
Date: 27 Aug 2002 23:37:36 +0200

MLdonkey <address@hidden> writes:

> >  I think that will be great to set priorities like:
> >
> >  first, download the files with the biggest percent downloaded. (to finish
> > the first and free
> >  space)
> >  second, to download the files with less avability (like overnet, i think,
> > but im not sure).
> >  3ยบ... other user defined rules...
>
> Priorities are not easy to implement: what does the "download these
> files first" means ? that you should not try to download the other
> files ? what happens if they are no slots available for these files,
> and you could download other non-priviledged files ? your download
> bandwidth would be unused...

Order all files according to these rules and try the firt first.

e.g. when connecting to a client ask for the file with highest
priority. If he doesn't have it, ask for the next.

When a client has more then one file, ask for blocks for the file with
highest priority instead of the one first in that clients list.

Also the order in which blocks are downloaded seems to have a certain
order. mldonkey or some clients seem to prefer the last chunk of a
file and then start from the start. For avi this is esspecially
helpfull, because the last block contains the index needed to seek (and
preview under windows) the avi.

> I think the best implementation of priorities is the "pause/resume"
> button, which allows you to pause some files when another file needs
> space AND IS BEING DOWNLOADING.

Which doesn't free up any bandwith on the administrativ side because
it asks for them anyway.

I would like a list of active files and a queue. You have 10 files
active and everything else is queued. When a active file is finished
one file from the queue is made active.

Or a set of barriers that only allow a file to pass from an inactive
state to an active state, for example a barrier that checks for enough
free space to finish downloading a file before making it active. Or
for the idea above a barrier that only allows 10 files in active
state. Or one that lets files pass in groups, like all mp3's of a
album together. Or one that lets a file pass if the download is <50
KB/s for more than 1 minute. The possibilities would be endless.

MfG
        Goswin