[Monotone-devel] Re: dumb servers

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: dumb servers
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:46:16 +0100

graydon hoare wrote:
[snip]

that's sort of the nice thing about hashtree synchronization: it's really just set union, so if I sync with a server then you sync with the same server, you have all my changes. if I sync with the server again later, I have all your changes. it would replace probably 10 different commands in monotone with just one: "monotone sync <url>". things which reduce the amount of code so dramatically are very attractive.

Hmm. What exactly would be involved in implementing such a command? I've never done anything related so I am trying to learn here. Could we say that the postcondition of the sync is that the hashes of all head manifests are contained in both databases? If so, could the synchronization start by exchanging the top level hashes, if they are different send the other a copy and go to a parent version(s), continuing up to a point when both hosts find that they already have the hashs in the their databases (find the closest common parent). Then the things to send to the other host should be fairly easy to identify by examining the contents of the manifests in question. If this is the case it could be relatively easy to do and it could even be layered on top of http (no new holes to those firewalls).
Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic