[Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone hangs while reading branch from depot

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone hangs while reading branch from depot
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:34:03 -0500

Peter Simons wrote:
I've tried reading the branch "system.www.cryp.to" from the
local depot into a newly created database. Monotone will
process everything up to packet 63, but then it just sits
there, eating up all CPU cycles, apparently doing nothing.

I ran it with --verbose and captured the output here:

    http://peti.cryp.to/monolog

I updated both depot.cgi and monotone to the very latest
versions, but that doesn't seem to help. Any idea what might
cause this?

the only "infinite loop" circumstances I've seen which *don't* involve reading the same db rows over and over (ancestry graph loops) are related to crypto++ going nuts after being built with -O2 on an unpatched g++, such as on debian.

from your log, I'd suspect it's happening in a support library (since there isn't an infinite stream of logging messages, which I tend to litter all over monotone's code), but that's just a guess. could you perhaps oprofile or gdb it and see where it's spinning? maybe there's some way to wedge the packet regex or something.

-graydon