[Monotone-devel] Re: netsync via inetd / xinetd

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync via inetd / xinetd
Date: 06 Apr 2004 19:05:42 +0200

graydon hoare writes:

 > what I am doing instead is running 1 server process under
 > daemontools.

It's probably just as well ... I just don't like having a
myriad of running processes, which actually do nothing.
That's why I try to start things up only when needed, and
xinetd is fine for that. Plus, xinetd has extensive access
control and logging facilities, which Monotone does not have
(and shouldn't need to).

If Monotone could use "stdin" as the accept(2) socket, then
xinetd could start-up the server when the first connection
comes in, but Monotone would receive all further connections
on the socket until the process terminates -- without xinetd
being involved. Thus, one server process could serve
everything. This mode of operation would also solve the
problem of restarting the server when it falls down.

However, it's no big deal. For now, I let init(8) start the
server. :-)

Peter