Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:09:24 -0400

Christian Ohler <address@hidden> writes:

> On my machine, mtn automate inventory (from
> 65dcf7bd70c798d6a8d4216628ad664223e52295) needs about 1.13s wall time
> to generate its output for its own source tree (with hot caches,
> without inodeprints, output redirected).  (Stephen, I suspect you're
> printing the output to the terminal, and your terminal is taking >20s
> to display it all.)
>
> The benchmark function needs about 1.80s wall time (including garbage
> collection, assertions disabled, average of 100 runs); this includes
> running the mtn subprocess.

Running the same test, I get 9.27 seconds wall time per iteration. I'm
on Windows XP, MinGW build. It's a laptop with a relatively slow disk,
750MB ram, 2.0 GHz Pentium.

So there appears to be a serious performance degradation on Windows!

As a separate test, just doing 'mtn db info' takes 28 seconds on the
first run (nothing in cache), 2 seconds on the second run (everything
in cache).

With that in mind, I modified xmtn-tests--time to run the command once
first before timing, to get everything in cache. However, that did not
significantly change the results.

> Since this is an interactive operation, the total time of 1.80s would
> still be a noticeable delay.

yes, but way better than 9.27 :).

--
-- Stephe