Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:39:37 +0200

Stephen Leake schrieb:
> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yes, node_ids don't mean anything, but they serve as unique
>> _identification_ for the upcoming stanza. The status is certainly not
>> unique and therefor does not serve this purpose at all.
>
> Ok. But when would a unique id of a stanza be useful?

One could use them for matching items between different runs. We know
that paths are kind of interchangable for all tracked nodes, so the real
unique identification we have for them is the id.

>> In general, I'm ok with _any_ format, as long as this cares about all
>> corner-cases and gives me all the info I need. Sure, we could discuss
>> the current or any other format to death within the next days/weeks,
>> but this doesn't help anybody. I personally want to get the format out
>> ASAP, and if real-life usage of the format reveals any flaws, then let
>> us change that if _that_ happens.
>
> Right. The only reason I'm talking about changing the format at all is
> because you have posted some "corner cases" that are currently broken,
> and I believe this change would fix those.

One of my last commits fixed the DRx and RAx corner cases.

> I'll work on adding those cases to tests/automate_inventory.

Yep, knowing them would be definitely useful whats left to fix =)

>> and any sort of state output is useful for view filtering and visual
>> item separation (guitone places overlays over path icons depending
>> on their state).
>
> I'm not clear what you mean by "state" here. I guess that's "status"?

Yep, "status". Sometimes I use both words for the same thing, sorry.

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz