Re: [Monotone-devel] Intented organization of projects/databases

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Intented organization of projects/databases
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:13:58 -0500

Peter Schuller <address@hidden> wrote:
> What is the "preferred" organizational structure in a situation with
> multiple unrelated projects which in turn has multiple branches each?

For practical reasons, I tend to keep a single database for each major
project.  I store my databases at ~/.monotone/databases with a *.mtn
suffix, a consistent location that makes it extremely easy for me to
sync to a USB thumb drive or rsync to different hosts.  In addition to
the system-installed monotone (via packages), I store staticly compiled
monotone binaries in $HOME/bin/$ARCHBIN named after their version.
ARCHBIN is set as the lowercase version of `uname -m`-`uname -s`

archbin() { echo "`uname -m`-`uname -s`"|tr [:upper:] [:lower:]; }

i.e. i686-linux, i686-cygwin_nt-5.1, sun4u-solaris.

Granted, I do not have static binaries for the cygwyn or solaris
environments, but you get the picture.  This allows me to keep multiple
versions around for times when matching upstream's repository is
important.

Have fun!

Chad