[Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: linus talk on git

From: Pavel Cahyna
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: linus talk on git
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:16:47 +0200

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:03:31AM +0800, Matt Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 09:41:05PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> >
> > I also observe very poor scaling down of the status command. I have a
> > workspace with 17507 files. There is a subdirectory with 17 files. In this
> > subdirectory:
> >
> > $ time mtn status .
> > (...)
> >    71.72s real    68.37s user     0.81s system
> >
> > $ time mtn status
> > (...)
> >    91.40s real    85.19s user     1.78s system
> >
> > For comparison: the same 17 files, from a CVS repository. cvs has to
> > contact a remote server across the Atlantic.
> >
> > $ time cvs status
> > (...)
> >     8.70s real     0.14s user     0.09s system
> >
> > This is lame. Why should status of 17 files take almost the same time as
> > status of 17507 files?
>
> Is inodeprints enabled for that workspace? ("mtn refresh_inodeprints".)

Yes, I had done this before running the test.

In fact this points to one possible scalability problem: there is a 1.5MB
"inodeprints" file and monotone has to read the whole file, even if it
needs to know status of only a few files. I doubt this is the main problem
here, though.

> How large are the files/database?

The database has 65MB and only one revision, which is the import of
everything.

Pavel