[Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:27:25 +0000

Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Bruce Stephens wrote:
>>> Uh.. the manifest has never included the text itself, AFAIR. And still
>>> today, the revision data references the file's contents by hash
>>> exclusively. So do the rosters.
>>
>> I know, I meant that the thing referenced by the hash would not be the
>> real contents (it would be some special thing).
>
> Ah, now I understand your previous mail. However, that would result in
> different file hashes (and thus also revision hashes) if you have
> access permissions vs. if you haven't. That certainly won't work, yes.

I doubt that would be workable.

I was suggesting deliberately keeping the hash the same, but allowing
the thing refered to by it to be something other than the contents.
(It would need to be something special, otherwise you'd end up
regarding it as corruption since the hashes wouldn't work.)

So all repositories would have an object addressible by a specific
hash, but only in some of those would it be the original file.