Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Undo a commit

From: Daniel Atallah
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Undo a commit
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:57:20 -0400

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Daniel Carrera <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course we could teack kill_rev_locally also to accept workspace
>>> changes and essentially do a workspace merge for these cases, but I'm
>>> not sure if there is really a use case for this which is worth to mess
>>> with that.
>>
>> Or teach db kill_rev_locally to only change the workspace's parent
>> revision without changing anything to the workspace?
>
> Or make a command "mtn rollback" that is equivalent to kill_rev_locally
> without changing the workspace. It should be simple enough.
>
> Step 1: Edit _MTN/revision to point to the previous revision.
> Step 2: Run kill_rev_locally on the last revision.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in these conversations about
"kill_rev_locally" (perhaps I glossed over it) is someone explicitly
noting that if the revision in question has already been pushed to
another DB, a pull from that DB will restore the revision.  There is
no way (for good reason) to cause a revision to be removed from remote
databases.

With this in mind, I think it doesn't make sense to make a "rollback"
command, but arguably an option for "kill_rev_locally" to change the
behavior slightly is worthwhile.

-D