Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.source-tree-cleanup

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.source-tree-cleanup
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:36:44 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 03 Feb 2011 07:19:47 -0500, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> For building the Unix .tar.gz, the equivalent code is in
stephen_leake> <root>/Makefile.am, <root>/doc/Makefile.am. In larger
stephen_leake> projects, there is typically a Makefile.am (possibly
stephen_leake> with an install target) in each directory.

The idea is to separate things in src/, which are basically meant to
be things compiled into the main binary or surounding utilities, from
the stuff meant to build them or package them.

The docs are in a separate parallell directory, and the only actual
reason that there's a Makefile.am in there is that there were some
tools that worked catastrophically bad when trying them in the main
Makefile.am, and also that automake produces very different results
when the base .texi file contains a directory as part of its name.

stephen_leake> I'm not strongly opposed to moving those three files to
stephen_leake> <root>/win32_install (do you have a suggested name?),
stephen_leake> but I don't see the "consistency" argument.

I'll have you note that there are a few more of directories of that
type.  mac/ and visualc/.

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/