Re: [Monotone-devel] interoperating with git

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] interoperating with git
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:00:31 -0700

Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:

> Planning to use monotone together with git.  Monotone for day-to-day
> activity, because it's a system I understand and trust.  Git for posting
> working versions on github or gitlab or some such.
>
> The obvious way to do this is to have one workspace that is used with
> both git and monotone.  git will be tld to ignore _MTN; monotone will be
> told to ignore .git .

I've done this with monotone and bazaar. It works, but is somewhat
tedious, since you end up doing every commit twice (possibly grouped
into larger commits for git, but still similar amount of work). I have
some support for this in the Emacs DVC frontend - avalable from the
ada-france monotone repository (see
http://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/ada-france-access.html for contact info).

A better option with monotone and git is to export the monotone db to a
git repository. I have not done this yet, but others have reported
success. Search this mailing list archive.

--
-- Stephe