myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: CFP: Minitrack on Documenting Work and Work

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: CFP: Minitrack on Documenting Work and Working Documents, HICSS-43]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:25:10 +0100

FYI

Carole

--- Begin Message --- Subject: CFP: Minitrack on Documenting Work and Working Documents, HICSS-43 Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:37:59 -0400
Dear Carole  Goble ,

We hope you will find the attached call for papers interesting and will
consider submitting a paper for the mini-track. We would also appreciate your
passing the call on to colleagues and students who might be interested.
Finally, we will need reviewers for the mini-track, so if you are willing to
review, please let us know. And apologies for any duplicates received; please
let me know if you do not want to receive future mailings regarding the
mini-track.

HICSS-43
CALL FOR PAPERS
Forty-third Annual
Hawai’i International Conference on System Sciences
Minitrack on Documenting Work and Working Documents
January 5-8, 2010
The Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Kauai, Hawai’i

Additional details may be found on HICSS primary web site:
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu

We invite papers for a Minitrack on document work and the work of documenting.
Knowledge and coordination work is hard to observe. A focus on the more
tangible aspects of this work, namely documents, provides a useful lens into
the work practices of organizational members in general, and those working in
distributed and virtual teams in particular. Studying documents in work allows
us to position people’s immediate activities and situated routines in their
larger social and organizational context. As documents carry institutional
structures and point to both past and future activities they open a window to
larger organizational practices.

For this mini-track, we welcome studies that explore how organizational members
use documents to share knowledge and coordinate their work within and across
temporal, spatial, and organizational boundaries; as well as papers that offer
methodological guidance to studies of documenting work and working documents.

We define documents as typified and material communication, whether electronic,
paper-based, wall-mounted or set in stone, invoked in response to recurrent
situations. The notion of document serves as a lens into the socio-technical or
socio-material nature of what organizational members do day in and day out.
Documents are socio-technical in that they are both material--and, thus, embody
the technical infrastructure--and social--as they embody both the work
practices and shared understanding of those involved.

For example, our production and distribution of the document in front of you
involved the technology of word processors, several different computers, Google
documents, hard copies, email messages and pdf files. We even touched a book in
the process. Your reading of the call likely involves numerous other
technologies; you are likely reading a digital version of this conference call
that you received in your inbox or you might have stumbled over it among many
other mini-track descriptions on the HICSS-43 website. Shared social practices
are reflected in the degree to which you, the reader, and we, the authors,
understand and share common knowledge about the form and contents of the genre
of conference calls in general and HICSS calls in particular and reflect this
knowledge in this document. The work we have done and that you are doing
represents the basics of the work practices. And, the various material forms of
the proposal represent some of the infrastructure supporting these HICSS and
the broader information field.

In short, the production and consumption of this call involves both the work of
documenting and document work. The work of documenting falls close to the definition of
the verb, to "document," describing the act of providing factual or substantive
support for statements made or hypotheses proposed; or to equip with exact references to
authoritative supporting information (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). At the same
time we engaged in document work involving the production, use, collection,
classification, storage, retrieving and dissemination of documents within and across
organizational settings.

A focus on documents is part of a larger trend in the academic literature. In
parallel to the dissemination of increasingly complex information systems in
organizational environments, there is an emerging literature studying document
work and the work of documenting within and across organizational boundaries.
These studies tend to oppose a purely information-based perspective propagating
the abstract meanings and immaterial data communicated via various information
systems. Instead this body of work largely draws on a pragmatic and
practice-oriented perspective theorizing the social practices going into the
manufacturing of documents through the manipulations of various material forms.

Topics of the Minitrack will address include (but are not limited to):
•    Documents as part of organizational infrastructure
•    Institutional ethnography
•    Boundary documents
•    Immutable mobiles and mutable mobiles
•    Documents and accountability
•    The evolution of genres of digital documents, including non-textual genres
•    Investigations of genre in use
•    Analysis of particular document genres, e.g. email, spam, and deception
•    Combining document
•    Document life cycles
•    Documents and their materiality
•    Documents in Web 2.0 applications (Blogs, Wikis, Open Source)
•    Documents in Healthcare
•    Documents in  . . . . . .

MINITRACK CO-CHAIRS:

Kevin Crowston, Professor
Syracuse University
School of Information Studies
Hinds Hall 348
Syracuse, NY 13244–4100 USA
Email: address@hidden
Tel: +1 315 443-1676
Dept: +1 315 443-2911
Fax: +1 866 265-7407

Carsten Østerlund, Assistant Professor
Syracuse University
School of Information Studies
Hinds Hall 309
Syracuse, NY 13244–4100 USA
Email: address@hidden
Tel: +1 315 443-8773
Dept: +1 315 443-2911
Fax: +1 315 443-5806

IMPORTANT DEADLINES

From now to June 1: If you wish, you may prepare an abstract and contact the
minitrack chairs for guidance and indication of appropriate content.

June 15: Authors submit full papers by this date, following the Author
Instructions. Please consult the HICSS main website for complete information
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu All papers will be submitted in double column
publication format and limited to 10 pages including diagrams and references.
HICSS papers undergo a double-blind review (June15 - August15).

August 15: Acceptance notices are sent to Authors. At this time, at least one
author of an accepted paper should begin visa, fiscal and travel arrangements
to attend the conference to present the paper.

September 15: Authors submit Final Version of papers following submission
instructions posted on the HICSS web site. At least one author of each paper
must register by this date with specific plans to attend the conference.

October 2: Papers without at least one registered author will be pulled from
the publication process; authors will be notified.

--- End Message ---