myexperiment-discuss

Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Characteristics of workflows

From: Andrea Wiggins
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Characteristics of workflows
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:34:10 -0400

On May 15, 2009, at 12:02 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Marco,
faceted search & browsing with sorting on result fields of choice? (I
am becoming addicted to the DBLP faceted browser)

That's more or less what I was thinking as well, especially if some of the fields are limited in the range of values they present.

I find most of the items in Andrea's list not only reasonable but also
quite simple to deal with, as these are just metadata items that you
keep around, with the possible exception of "structural queries" i.e.,
on the workflow topology, which could be fun but can also be challenging
to offer to users in some intuitive way.

Yes - I was thinking specifically of things that can be automatically extracted or assigned. It reduces user overhead, is more reliable than human assignment of some kinds of metadata, and structural features are pretty objective but tiresome to handle manually. I think that iteration strategies might be a useful thing to be able to examine/ index as well, but have had a hard time thinking up a use case for that one.

Workflow topology could be an interesting characteristic to dig into a little bit; network analysis measures could potentially be applied to evaluate some of the topological characteristics in a useful way. I was also thinking that an effort that tries to get at "complexity" might start by having site users rate workflows (based on what they can see online) with a simple Likert scale, maybe three or five points, of low to high. It would be interesting just to see what the inter-rater reliability would be, but to the degree that there is agreement, the rated workflows could then be more closely scrutinized for regularities in the structural characteristics that might differentiate the groupings in a way that can be automatically determined.

I particularly like the "quality-oriented" filters, i.e. on metadata
completeness (or other quality features)

It's also possible that making component metadata a part of the search and discovery tools may provide some incentive to supply metadata. It can be difficult to evaluate the potential usefulness of a workflow without the metadata or code comments, or both.

Presence of code comments is another thing I'd like to be able to use as a search facet, but it's also potentially trickier to handle. My research group has done some NLP analysis on textual messages that contain code snippets, and it's consistently a problematic factor for processing the content.

oh btw:
I've seen this on another
social network site, labelled "include all photo-less?" which is
inelegant but perfectly descriptive.
you mean, as in the personals :-)

Actually, it's a social network for knitters and crocheters, Ravelry.com - in context, "include all photo-less?" refers to a record about an object made of yarn. :) The users are incredibly devoted and grateful fans of the site, and it's some of the best SNS design I have ever seen, bar none. It's pretty impressive but has members-only access with a waiting list (to manage capacity), so awhile ago I posted more about the site design and why it's so awesome at http://www.anikarenina.com/2008/06/14/raveling/ .

Cheers,

Andrea

Andrea Wiggins
PhD Student, School of Information Studies
Syracuse University

337 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
address@hidden