nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] set brackets in .nanorc

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] set brackets in .nanorc
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:52:15 -0800

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>  >
>  >> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>  >>  > What does using
>  >>  >
>  >>  >     set brackets "'")}]>"
>  >>  >
>  >>  > in your .nanorc currently affect? Without that line
>  >>  > I can already bounce between matching brackets/braces
>  >>  > with 'ESC ]' -- uncommenting it doesn't seem to change
>  >>  > anything...
>  >>
>  >> It affects what punctuation can end sentences, which is only used when
>  >> justifying paragraphs.
>  >
>  > When I justify a paragraph, it looks like everything between the two
>  > blank lines (that is, between \n\n and \n\n) gets justified. How does
>  > punctuation like "'")}]>" enter the picture? To me, they don't have
>  > anything to do with justifying paragraphs (that is, making lines
>  > end after a given number of characters, but not in the middle of
>  > a word).
>  >
>  > BTW, why does the double-quote show up in the middle of that clump
>  > of funny characters "'")}]>"? Do the double-quotes on the outside
>  > of '")}]> not count?
>
> Quotes inside rcfile strings don't have to be escaped with backslashes.
> The last double quote in the string will be treated as its end.  This
> means that the above string will match ', ", ), }, ], and >.

Ah. Ok then. Here's my first suggestion: add the following to
either the nanorc man page, or else to the top of the default
.nanorc file (just below "Other options are unset by default."):

## Quotes inside rcfile strings don't have to be escaped with
## backslashes. The last double quote in the string will be
## treated as its end. For example, for the brackets option,
## "'")}]>" will match ', ", ), }, ], and >.

Actually, I see that it's probably difficult to avoid
duplication between the nanorc man page and the comments
in the .nanorc. IMO, since I'm already in the .nanorc when
I need to know how to do something, I'd rather the docs be
in there. :) That said, some folks may not be using the
sample .nanorc...

Where do you prefer more explanation? In the nanorc man
page or in comments in the sample .nanorc file?

How much stuff do you want in the nano man page vs. the
... oh my.... an info page. Yikes. I've always avoided
info pages because I always have to re-learn how to
use the info command every time. Are you married to the
idea of keeping both a man page *and* and info page?
Why not just merge the juicy bits from the info page
into the man page?

Say, actually, if I set up an account on savannah,
can I just checkout the source, edit the docs myself,
then commit them in?

(More later.)

Thanks,
---J