nano-devel

[Nano-devel] suggesting -a and --atblanks for on the command line

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] suggesting -a and --atblanks for on the command line
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:20:40 +0200

For the varisoft patch set, I would like to add the options
-a and --atblanks for on the command line (to do the same as
'set atblanks' in a nanorc file).

For Pico, -a means: to show dot files in the file browser, but
nano shows these dot files always.  In nano, this new meaning
for -a will only have any effect when also -$ is given, so if
there are users who invoke nano thinking it is Pico, passing
it by habit the -a option, this will not make nano behave any
different, because if they really think they are calling Pico,
they will not be passing it a -$ option because Pico does not
know this and would fail to start.  So we can safely repossess
-a for the purpose of --atblanks.

(And anyway, nano already treats the options -q and -n and -W
differently from Pico, so nano has stopped being a drop-in
replacement for Pico a while ago.)

Attached patch makes this change.  When nobody objects, I will
add the documentation changes and push the patch.

Benno