nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] alternative anchoring: allowing to set multiple "bookma

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] alternative anchoring: allowing to set multiple "bookmarks"
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 20:21:03 +0100

Op 01-11-18 om 01:39 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> When editing code where multiple interdependent functions are
> defined in many different places on the same file, [being] able to
> have multiple bookmarks helps a lot. When debugging source code or
> changing multiple points of the same file. When investigating call
> chains. When investigating all the calls of a function or all the
> points where a variable is assigned.  [...]

Right, I get what you mean.  But... your proposed mechanism makes
my use case harder.  When I have set an anchor and I return to it,
the jumping to it would clear the anchor (that is my preferred
scheme).  So: set (M-'), wander, jump-and-clear (M-').  With your
mechanism I would have to do: set (M-2), wander, jump (M-' or M-",
I have to remember in which direction I wandered, and if my search
wrapped around...), and then clear (M-2).  So, jumping back and
clearing the mark requires two keystrokes, that in addition are
far apart.  Annoying.  I wouldn't be using that.

> the geany and gedit's plugin for bookmarks allows multiple bookmarks
> and,
In the plugin dialogs of Geany and Gedit I cannot find anything that
mentions bookmarks or something like it.  In the Search menu of Geany
there are "Go to next/previous marker" (Ctrl+. and Ctrl+,) and in the
Document menu there is "Clear all markers", but I can't find anything
like "Set a marker"...  Pfff: I've had to read the manual to find out
how to set and clear a mark: Ctrl+M.  :|  Okay, that works, and gives
visual feedback.  But jumping puts the cursor always at the left edge.

Benno