nano-devel

Re: Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 12:43:04 +0100

Op 04-01-2020 om 07:20 schreef Saagar Jha:
> I use nano quite a bit across a number of machines and I’ve run into an
> interesting issue that I am not sure if there is a good solution for: I have
> one nanorc that I would like to share across these computers,

Out of curiosity: do you copy the nanorc across?  Or do you somehow
network mount it?

> but it cannot be read without errors on any of them because there is constant
> churn in the format for the file. To give you an idea of the situation, I
> regularly use versions of nano that literally span over a decade: on my Mac
> it’s nano 4.7, but on my Ubuntu machine it’s 2.9.3, on my iPhone it’s 4.3 and
> on the family Mac it’s 2.0.6.

If those are the only machines that you use, then why not upgrade the
family Mac to nano-4.7 too?  Looking at your .nanorc, there aren't any
incompatibilities between 2.9.3 and 4.3 and 4.7, so only the 2.0.6 is
causing problems here, right?

But I'm guessing you are looking for a general solution that covers
all possible nano versions.  Well, then there isn't.  Nanos before
2.1.9 and after 2.8.7 don't know the --quiet option, so it is not
possible to skip and silence those warnings for all nanos.

Nano has evolved.  Some behaviors have changed (^W always searching
forward, for example) and some poorly-named options needed to be renamed.
I have knowingly sacrificed backward compatibility.  Sorry about that.

Benno