nano-devel

Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 20:21:17 +0200

Op 22-05-2020 om 04:05 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> I can already detect drag events on the scrollbar paddle but we have
> to decide some details about its behaviour.
>
> What should be done when moving the scrollbar paddle puts the cursor
> outside of the current edit window? I can see 3 options: leave the
> cursor where it is, move the cursor together, move the cursor to the
> first line (when scrolling down) or last line (when scrolling up) of
> the current window.
>
> Most gui apps simply leave the cursor where it is. Then, when a key is
> pressed, the window is moved where the cursor is. I do not like this
> behaviour and implementing this would need some more intrusive
> changes.

This seems like the preferable behavior, because it allows doing
something that otherwise cannot be achieved in nano: looking at
other parts of the file without losing the cursor position.

> Moving the cursor together with the window seem simpler to implement,
> but seems less intuitive behaviour since we'll have one behaviour when
> the scroll moves the cursor and another when the cursor is kept where
> it is.

I don't follow.

> Moving the cursor to the first line (when scrolling down) or last line
> (when scrolling up) is my preferred option and seems more intuitive
> although that's is different from how most gui programs work.

Why not put the cursor on the center line?  That is what nano does
in other cases when the cursor goes offscreen (^W, insertion of a
large file).

> So, what behaviour is the most likely to be accepted?

I don't know.  I would have to each behavior to see whether I like
it.  And possibly I will like none.

Regards,

Benno