Re: [Nel] Computer Arts Lab

From: Dave Turner
Subject: Re: [Nel] Computer Arts Lab
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:31:46 -0500

> Carl Vilbrandt wrote:
>
> To all
>
> I have created in AutoCAD's extended entity data structure a Quake
> entity.   Each
> AutoCAD  / Quake entity as  a unique name so I have a link between
> AutoCAD
> data and Quake data such that I can manipulate the precise CAD data
> with the real
> time Quake entities.   I plan to create a CAD  system that uses a real
> time  simulation
> for visualization.
>
> I have been looking at other game 3D engines.  Jet3D, Crystal 3D
>
> I have created very precise highly computational base 3D models of
> temples in  the
> Aizu region of Japan for digital archival, historical purposes.  I
> studied with a master
> temple builder of this region that has no apprentices and he is the
> last temple builder
> in this region.
>
> I want to setup historical server sites that allow users to visit the
> historical sites
> in this area via the internet.
>
> I would like to start a dev group in the Computer Arts Lab an join and
> open source
> 3D real time  dev group.  I am not quite sure where to begin.  Does
> anyone have any
> suggestions or could offer some advice on where to start.
>
> http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~vilb/vilb.html
>
> --
> Carl Vilbrandt, MFA, Associate Professor

The big way to contribute to open source is to release under the GPL or
a BSD-style license your autocad->quake converter.  I think there is a
Quake3->Crystalspace map converter, which is something that you might
want to consider when choosing an engine.

This sounds like a great project - have fun!

--
-Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859
"It is said that it is the curse of the neophobe to always see the