[Nel] Snowballs Data & CVS

From: Zane
Subject: [Nel] Snowballs Data & CVS
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:57:56 -0800

First off I'd like to say hello, I'm new to the list, one of the slashdot
crowd that have descended upon you. :)  I'm a C/C++/VB^H^H^H/SQL developer
and I've done mud development as a hobby for years
(www.sourceforge.net/projects/embermud) so this project was immediately
interesting to me.  I'm entirely a client/server developer with just a
rudimentary understanding of 3D so I'll probably be contributing entirely in
the server or client/server communcation areas.  Few questions for you all
at Nevrax.

Would it be possible to move the snowballs data into the CVS tree?  I'm
keeping current with the CVS updates and evidentally some changes made to
NeL or the client/server portion have rendered the data package offered on
the website obsolete.

Have you all looked at using sourceforge for your public CVS front end?  The
site can be designed to look exactly like your current site (but I believe
would require a sourceforge graphic and link somewhere on the page) and
offers all the services you currently offer as well as more bandwidth and
will spare you from further slashdot type outages (at least to some degree
:).

I've read back through the mailing list archives and understand that you're
using a plugin to 3DSMax to create NeL objects.  Will you be releasing this
any time soon?  I know a few people that are not 3D developers (unable to
write a plugin) but would be interested in starting to build content.  I'm
curious why you haven't released it already?  (Yes, I'm nosy :)

What about design documents for NeL?  You have a lot of auto-generated
documentation available but as far I as I can tell there aren't many (or
any) design documents available.  This would be especially nice for parts of
the library that have yet to be developed.  Starting work on undeveloped
portions of the library (the DB portion for instance) might be of interest
to other developers.

Are you actually interested in other developers making major contributions
to this project pre-production or are you more interested in just offering
your work to the community?

Forgive me if I'm asking questions with answers that are readily available
on your web-site but I've done my best to research beforehand.

Thanks,
E.J. Wilburn
address@hidden