Re: [Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.

From: EagleEye
Subject: Re: [Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:23:37 -0600

> Nope. But be aware that the basic principles of your game design are
> automatically open, regardless of whether you use NeL or develop your
> own from scratch. What is proprietary to you is the 1000-rows database
> that describes your items, the recipes your artisans use to make items,
> the names and settings of the world, the artwork used to decorate the
> flag flying at the top of the keep.
>
> But not the "there are three realms that are mortal ennemies of each
> other" part. That, anyone can copy. Even if you were developping a
> game for a big company under death-before-you-speak agreements.

This basically answers my question.  You see, I realize that people can copy
my ideas, but I'll be damned if they're gonna copy the work that I put into
it to accomplish what I (will have) accomplished.  If they want to copy my
idea, they'll have to implement it themselves, not grab all of my WORK
(because it's open source) and just "compile and run" my entire world.  I
don't care about the technology stuff, like those special gloves, or 3D
goggle implementation... I just want it so that if someone wants to copy
that skill tree of mine, they have to copy it from the ground up.  Not just
grab my source and say "Okay, it's mine now."  I'm not talking about
copyrights...

Look at it this way... I am copying some of the concepts from any number of
other MUDs, MMOLRPGs, and such... the concept of player housing is in Ultima
Online... I'm copying that, and making it better... What I'm not doing is
taking their source code for how they implemented it, and using it for my
own game... that stuff I have to do myself.  I don't care if people copy my
ideas, but I want to release them first, and I want them to have to put in
some of their own effort to make their "copy of my ideas" a reality.

> > *scratches head*
>
> /em massages Jared's shoulders.

Hehe, thanks. :)