Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code in m_chkids() in sbr/context_save.c

From: Neil W Rickert
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code in m_chkids() in sbr/context_save.c
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:39:45 -0500

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote on May 18, 2005:

>>>(AFAIK sendmail and friends always run stuff under the user's real and
>>>effective uid, so I don't think slocal should ever be setuid).

>>If you run "slocal" from ".forward", then it runs as the recipient
>>(the person using ".forward").  But there are advantages to running
>>slocal as a mailer defined in sendmail.cf

>Do people even _do_ that?  I've written sendmail mailers myself, but
>I can't really see any advantage for doing this here.

I certainly do that (define slocal as a mailer).

Advantages:

It allows me to use the "source" and "addr" attributes in my
".maildelivery" file.  With the way I have defined the mailer,
"source" references the envelope sender, and "addr" references
the "detail" part of "loginid+detail".  For example, the mail
for nmh-workers is addressed to me at "rickert+nmh", and I have
that sorted into my nmh folder with the line

addr    nmh     +       ?       +nmh

 -NWR