Re: [Nmh-workers] What is MH ? (was: exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP pr

From: Chris Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What is MH ? (was: exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal))
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:15:38 -0600

> From:  Robert Elz <address@hidden>
> Date:  Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:13:56 +0700
>
> If you accept that however, the next thing to accept is that an IMAP
> filesystem and MH have nothing to do with each other really - that is,
> someone doing an IMAP filesystem need not be aware of MH really at all,
> it is something that MH could use, if implemented, but which there's
> no particular reason for the MH community to be involved in implementing.

"Yes, but...."

1) If the MH community has nothing to do with the implementation, what's going
to assure that the IMAP filesystem looks like something that MH can use
easily. Isn't it just as likely that whoever implements it would make it look
like Maildir++?

2) An IMAP filesystem is only going to be implemented if there's a community
with a need.  Have any other communities out there expressed a need for an
IMAP file system?  In particular, have any of them expressed a need for an
IMAP file system that looks like an MH tree?

It seems unlikely to me that such a filesystem will be implemented unless the
MH community is involved.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                         Trinsic Solutions
President                               1611-B West 6th Street

512-322-0180                            http://www.trinsics.com

                 Would you rather proactively pay for
                uptime or reactively pay for downtime?

                          Trinsic Solutions