Re: [Nmh-workers] suppress Content-ID's with new mhbuild option?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] suppress Content-ID's with new mhbuild option?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:57:10 -0500

> > The problem is simply that I do not want Content-ID headers
> > to appear in the message that I create.
> >
> > My big-hammer solution is to disable output of Content-ID's,
> > under control of an option to mhbuild.
> >
> > Another approach might include (among other things) insertion of <> in
> > the directives that X-MH-Attachment generates just before the [:
> >
> >   #text/plain; name="foo.txt"; x-unix-mode=0644 <>[ English text ] /tmp/foo
> .txt
> >   #application/pdf; name="foo.pdf"; x-unix-mode=0644 <>[ Adobe Portable Doc
> ument Format (PDF) v1.2 ] /foo/multiatt.pdf
> >
> > Would there be a reasonable way to do that?  I see where it
> > would be done in the code, in make_mime_composition_file_entry ().
> > But I don't see a convenient way to change what goes into those
> > directives.  Maybe add a configure option?

> This sounds like a matter of personal taste as you never want content-id
> headers; it's not something that you do on a message by mesage basis.  So
> why not add a dash option and you can put it in your profile?  Seems nicer
> than added more cryptic goo to something that is already too cryptic for
> a sane person to use which is why I added the attachment handling code a
> while back.

Yes, agreed.  And thank you for adding the attachment
handling support.  I got tangled up in the cryptic goo
one too many times.

The option to suppress Content-ID: could be added to either
mhbuild or send.  mhbuild seems like the right place,
because that's where the MIME message is created.  And it's
trivial to do there.

David