Re: [Nmh-workers] Lock gone mad

From: Josh Bressers
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Lock gone mad
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:32:37 -0400

> I recently installed nmh from a vendor package, on my home system.  This
> is SuSE 10.1.
>
>       % scan -version
>       scan -- nmh-1.1-RC4 [compiled on e52 at Tue May  2 07:43:00 UTC 2006]
>
> Certain commands have long pauses before they do anything.  In
> particular, I notice this for "send" and for "whom".

Tell your vendor to rebuild the package with fcntl locking.  nmh uses dot
locking by default, which is pretty brain dead.  Here is the option they
should give configure:

--with-locking=fcntl

So the question becomes, is there a reason we shouldn't fix configure to
use fcntl locking by default, and only fall back to dot locking if fcntl
locking isn't available?

--
    JB