Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: Diffs for replacing mktemp() usage

From: Sean Kamath
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: Diffs for replacing mktemp() usage
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:59:02 -0800

Earl Hood wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Sean Kamath wrote:
>
>> Frankly, people who run tmp cleaners that are that braindead probably
>> deserve what they get.
>
> Are we to worry about braindead temp cleaners?  I.e. I'm
> sure other apps would have problems with braindead
> cleaners, so should we waste resources dealing with
> a problem that is not worth addressing?

That was kinda my point.  I don't think we should worry about braindead
tmp cleaners.

>> Regardless, moving them to a configurable tmp
>> location is not a bad idea -- but I don't want to hit my NFS mounted
>> home dir every time I make a tmp file.  So I'd make /var/tmp/<user> or
>> /tmp/<user> and point to that.
>
> I'm unsure if real-time performance is super critical
> with nmh.  If going with /var/tmp/<user>, you still
> do not completely avoid braindead cleaners since you are
> still working under the system tmp directory.

For a while I ran a site with hundreds of users that all used nmh.  I've
since moved on, but still prefer to not waste bandwidth when I don't
have to.

My real point was that it should be configurable, which you've done.
Slightly odd to make it an env variable than an nmh setting in
.mh_profile, but whatever.

Sean

--
Sent from the 1st Circle