Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore RFE: add facility to manipulate the original f

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore RFE: add facility to manipulate the original filename
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 14:04:23 -0400

>Background: I’m using mhstore in a script to automatically
>extract images and text from messages. Since the messages come
>from and results go to naïve users, I’d like to be able to use
>the original file basenames so that they recognise what they
>sent.
>
>-auto isn’t desirable because it completely ignores the filename
>if there’s anything dodgy about it. So I currently create a
>temporary profile with mhstore-<type> lines, but this loses the
>original filename completely.

So, digging back a little while ...

We don't (yet) have a way of interrogating a MIME message to get out
particular MIME parameters.  It occurs to me that would be useful.  We did
talk earlier about adding some structured output capability to mhlist;
I made the point that having the ability to specify a mh-format instruction
rather than depend on a particular output format would probably be more
useful and long-term portable.

As for santizing the filename ... that sounds like something that should
be handled in a post-processing script.  What do others think?

--Ken